We’re still no closer to figuring out what the hell is happening in Darren Aronofsky’s ‘mother!’, set to make its worldwide premiere next month at the Venice Film Festival, but there’s great fun to be had in analysing the few scraps we have. And making ball puns.
Aronofsky just released the latest poster for the film, with Javier Bardem front and centre surrounded by flames and holding what looks like the ball from Phantasm. Suitably enigmatic, of course.
Now, according to the director, there are a bunch of Easter eggs all over the two posters, so let’s see how many we can figure out while we’re here. As a reminder, here’s the Jennifer Lawrence poster.
Things we have spotted so far:
* The blood on Lawrence’s dress seems to spell out the number 1310. This may just have been a reference to the original release date of October 10th, but it’s still a cool detail.
* There’s a frog in the bottom right of the Lawrence poster.
* There’s a man’s face in a box in the bottom left of the Lawrence poster. Possibly Javier?
* Some of the flowers seem to have bejewelled boxes growing in them.
* There’s blue stuff bleeding over the flower in the top right corner. Blood?
* In the bottom right of both posters, there is a square with the Zodiac symbol for Pisces on it. “Pisces” is the Latin word for “Fishes.” It’s one of the earliest zodiac signs on record, and in Greek mythology it pertains to the myth of Aphrodite and Eros, who transformed into fish to escape the monster Typhon.
* There are lots of creepy faces amidst the fire surrounding Javier. Very hellish. There’s a lot of fire in the trailer too.
* Javier is holding a ball.
Spotted anything else that we may have missed? There’s no prize for finding it beyond the satisfaction of being right, but we welcome it anyway.