50 Spoileriffic Reasons Why We Loved Season 4 of "Arrested Development"
If you're reading this, it likely means you did not heed the advice of Dan and used your long weekend to gorge on season four of "Arrested Development." Having watched it all in one or two days, we can't say whether doling it out more slowly would've been a better idea, but we can say that watching all of season four in a relatively short period of time (a week or two, at most) is probably a good idea, if only because so much of the series relies on your memory of earlier episodes.
The series began slowly, and it was a little troublesome in the beginning. But by around episode five, it all began to congeal. The table setting had been put in place, and the last ten episodes took those running jokes -- old and new -- and ran with them. It's definitely a series that will benefit from repeat watching because there are so many running jokes, visual gags, and references that you won't necessarily pick up on the first time through. In fact, the more we went over the series and shared our favorite moments, the more we began to appreciate it. Say whatever else you want about season four, structurally it was a massive achievement in cleverness and unlike nothing we've witnessed with a television sitcom. Many of the jokes took a little more effort and focus to pick up on, and I'm sure over the course of the series' life, many many more will become apparent.
We chose 50 of our favorite reasons why we loved season four of Arrested Development, but to be honest, we could've gone on for much longer. It could've been 100. Maybe more. At a certain point, however, you just have to put the brakes on and say, "Well that's enough for now," even if it means failing to including Maeby's "c*nt punt" line or mentioning Annyong's brief appearance. Make no mistake, however, and despite much of the contrarian Internet grumbling from viewers and critics alike, we loved season four.
Again, if you haven't watched the entire series yet, I wouldn't recommend going ahead, but do circle back around once you've completed season four.
Here's 50 Spoilerrific Reasons Why We Loved Season 4 of "Arrested Development"
1. Because Ron Howard bases his movies on still photographs he likes.
2. Because Tony Wonder is here, he's queer, and he's also over here.
3. Because it gave Dan Harmon a job.
4. Because everyone deserves a nu start.
5. Because Joel and Crow are right; this *is* the gayest Starbucks ever.
6. Because in a battle between Liza Minelli and Ostrich, Ostrich takes it every time.
7. Because of roofie circles.
8. Because of hot messes.
9. Because "Dancing With the Stars" is not what it used to be.
10. Because of Gene Parmesan.
11. Because of Bob Loblaw's law bomb.
12. Because Michael had this coming.
13. Because this is gonna be the next DaVinci Code!
14. Because it couldn't be a coincidence, could it?
15. Because of champagne glass breasts.
16. Because of her. Or hair. Or and. Or egg?
17. Because Kristen Wiig was perfect as Young Lucille Bluth. (Although, Seth Rogen was a terrible Young George Bluth.)
18. Because Henry Winkler's real-life son, Max Winkler, played Young Barry Zuckerkorn.
19. Because young Lucille grinched Cinco de Cautro into existence.
20. Because George Bluth is a very funny lady.
21. Because they built a long-running gag on Andy Richter's failed sitcom, "Quintuplets."
22. Because GOB confused friendship with romantic affection.
23. Because it charred our tree.
24. Because of our old friend, Darkness.
25. Because of micellaneous.
26. Because Lindsay has a type.
27. Because the cornballers make us laugh every. single. time.
28. Because they built an entire subplot around George Michael to make fun of the comparisons between Michael Cera and Jesse Eisenberg.
29. Because of the Scott Pilgrim vs. the World reference.
30. Because in his need to change his name to avoid sharing a name with two celebrities who have been caught committing sex acts in public restrooms (George Michael and Boy George), George Michael changed his name to George Maharris.
31. Because George Michael is a terrible kisser.
32. Because "Arrested Development" made sex offenders funny.
33. Because Tobias was searching for Debris.
34. Because there's nothing ambiguous about Tobias.
35. Because GOB looks like Tobias feels.
36. Because Daddy needs to get his rocks off.
37. Because "The Getaway" song was GOB's ringtone for Steve Holt.
38. Because of Showstealer Pro Trial Version.
39. Because of Feral Jesus.
40. Because of Light Drizzle and Thunder.
41. Because of the guy in the $32 pink bathrobe.
42. Because of "And As It Is Such, So Also Ss Such Is It Unto You."
43. Because you know someone, somewhere is going to try this method of smoking indoors.
44. Because who doesn't want to be seen at And Jeremy Piven?
45. Because of noodle stabs.
46. Because of this Madonna reference.
47. Because macca and commode is a dangerous combination.
48. Because of "Pop A R.O.T.C."
49. Because Jerry Bruckheimer's not coming off the boat for this one.
50. Because Heartfire has no comment.
Are you following Pajiba on Facebook or Twitter? Because every time you do an angel does the Paul Rudd dance
Around the Web