The Box Office Records 'The Force Awakens' Has Broken So Far
Some initial box office reports are in, and we have early numbers for how much of our collective cash has been absorbed by Disney via Star Wars movie tickets this weekend. There’s a long piece over at The Hollywood Reporter but here are some highlights:
- $238 million domestically, which gives it the biggest opening of all time not accounting for inflation. There are some indications that number could be larger when the final report comes out on Monday.
- $279 million internationally, which puts it at #3 of all time behind Jurassic World and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2.
- Set a new record for December openings, which had previously been held by The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey released back in December 2012. That record was previously $84.6 million.
- Widest North American December release of all time, hitting 4,134 theaters.
- With $120.5 million on it’s first day, it become the biggest single day and biggest opening day in North America, along with being the first film to cross $100 million in a single day.
- Biggest IMAX opening with $30.1 million.
It’s still being bested by Jurassic World in some categories, notably international ones because Jurassic World released same day and date in China, whereas The Force Awakens won’t hit there until January 9th. And, of course, with the Christmas holiday coming up, the film is expected to be a… force to be reckoned with at the box office for some time.
So fess up, guys, about $30 of that take is me personally for shows late Thursday and yesterday afternoon. Anyone else already head in for multiple showings?
Get entertainment, celebrity and politics updates via Facebook or Twitter. Buy Pajiba merch at the Pajiba Store.