The 15 Biggest Revelations from Joss Whedon's Reddit AMA
Joss Whedon, who has two movies coming out in the next couple of months, Cabin in the Woods (which he co-wrote) and The Avengers (which he directed) sat for one of those sprawling, massive Reddit AMA’s yesterday. You can read the entire thing over on Reddit, but I have collected the highlights below.
1. What he hates: Being labelled as “the guy who kills people,” or being considered the “Jason Voorhies” of the writing community, but the most emotionally affecting kill he’s ever personally felt was Buffy’s mom.
Asked later “why do you kill everyone I love?” Whedon responded, appropriately, “You love stupid people.”
2. What he loves: Salted caramel ice cream.
3. The one piece of work he’d put forward to represent his entire body of work? “Objects in Space,” the series finale of “Firefly.”
4. His favorite character to write for? “Jeez. Spike, Andrew, Illyria, River, Captain Hammer, Loki, the Cheese Man… hell, I love them all, or I wouldn’t write them. But I tend to the left of center. The hardest was always Angel. How to make a decent, handsome, stalwart hero interesting — tough. Angelus, on the other hand…”
5. Would he return to TV? Yes, if he “thought he could do the work he actually set out to do.”
6. What would season six of “Angel” looked liked? “Season six of Angel would have kicked all manner of ass. And Illyria would have manifested as Fred often enough to become very confused about her identity.”
7. On the loss of Ed Norton as The Hulk in The Avengers: “It let me cast Mark Ruffalo, one of the best and sweetest actors I know, and, I think, THE definitive Bruce Banner. “
8. On the possibility of creating a full-scale musical: “Full scale musical? The biggest non-spaceship-involving dream of my life. But it’s a huge life commitment …. “
9. If he had all the money in the world, what would his dream project be? “I have many dream projects. But all the money in the world means just one thing: spaceships. Spaceships in trouble.”
10. His favorite piece of sci-fi? Dune, the book.
11. On Dr. Horrible 2: He’s still in the early stages of developing “Dr. Horrible 2” and you can expect someone you love to die (said tongue-in-cheek).
12. Has he ever been approached about writing a “Doctor Who” episode?: “The doctor is dope, but I’ve just spent 2 years writing other people’s characters, plus I’ve got my Firefly kickstarter adventure.”
13. Which joke in his body of work he’s most proud of? Titan A.E.
14. Where would’ve “Dollhouse” gone had he been able to continue it? “It would have been a much slower odyssey of Echo’s self-creation and liberation, peppered with astonishing perversions.”
15. Why he’s doing Much Ado About Nothing? “I wanted to drag Shakespeare from obscurity. I’ve been a fan my whole life, and it’s time other people started noticing him!”
Cabin in the Woods opens in theaters on Friday. The Avengers opens the first weekend of May.
(Hat Tip: Kendra.)
Each Time You Like, Share, Tweet or Stumble a Pajiba Post, An Angel Does the Paul Rudd Dance
Warning: include() [function.include]: Filename cannot be empty in /home/pajibac/public_html/trade_news/the-15-biggest-revelations-from-joss-whedons-reddit-ama-.php on line 317
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/pajibac/public_html/trade_news/the-15-biggest-revelations-from-joss-whedons-reddit-ama-.php on line 317