20 Facts You Might Not Know About the Cast of "Orange is the New Black"
1. Taylor Schilling is not entirely new to television and movies. She was the star in the short-lived “Mercy,” and co-starred opposite Zac Efron in The Lucky One, if you were unlucky enough to see it. Most likely, you guys saw her — briefly — in Argo, where she played the wife of Ben Affleck’s character.
2. As Hollywood goes, Schilling also has a fair resemblance to Piper Kerman, upon whom her character is based.
3. Everyone knows that Laura Prepon was in “That 70’s Show,” that she’s a natural blond, and most know that she’s a Scientologist. But, did you know she was in a Sneaker Pimps video from “6 Underground”?
She’s barely recognizable, so here’s a screenshot.
4. You would never recognize him, but Michael Harney — who plays Sam Healey — had a recurring role in Deadwood.
5. Kate Mulgrew, who plays Red, is best known for playing Captain of the Federation in Starship Voyager. I understand there was even a sly reference to that character in Orange is the New Black, although having not seen Star Trek Voyager, I have no idea which it is.
6. What is there to say about Jason Biggs that you don’t know already? Did you know that his wife paid $900 to a prostitute (or two) to give Biggs’ a blowjob and then wrote about it? It’s true. Biggs is in a weird marriage. Biggs also tweets a lot about “The Bachelor,” which is also weird.
7. Everyone knows that Natasha Lyonne’s had some serious drug problems in the past, but this I didn’t know, and I don’t think it’s really a spoiler. But, at one point in the series, we see a huge scar on Lyonne’s chest from a heart surgery her character received related to her drug abuse. In reality, she actually had that exact surgery and that scar is real. I think there’s quite a bit about her character that is autobiographical. Also, good for her for getting her sh*t together.
8. Most folks remember Pablo Schreiber from The Wire, but did you also know that he was Liev Schreiber’s half brother?
9. You may vaguely recognize Joel Garland, who plays a guard in Orange is the New Black as Pork from Justified.
10. Lea DeLaria, who plays Big Boo, is in real-life a gay comedian, who used to bill herself “That F*cking Dyke.” As in, “Honey, you want to see a show tonight?” Sure! Who are we seeing?”” “That F*cking Dyke.” “What the f*ck did you just say?” “Honey, it’s OK! That’s her stage name.” “Oh, OK, then.”
11. I wish I could tell you something really interesting about Samira Wiley, who plays Pousey, but alas, all I have is this ADORABLE star-struck response to Regina King on Twitter.
12. This is what Yael Stone, who plays Lorna, looks like in real life sometimes.
13. I knew I recognized Matt McGorry, who plays the puppy dog guard Bennet. He was in a recent episode of “Elementary.” He also used to be a College Humor actor. He also looks pretty OK without a shirt on.
14. Wait, what? Nick Sandow, who plays Joe Caputo, is Waxey Gordon on Boardwalk Empire. How did I miss that?
15. Uza Aduba, who plays Crazy Eyes, was also in the cast of Broadway’s Godspell and does not always have crazy eyes.
16. Laverne Cox, who plays Sophie Burset, is in fact a transgender woman. Her big break came on VH1’s reality show I Want Diddy.
17. Taryn Manning, who plays the Bible thumber Pennsatucky, is in fact real-life cousins with Peyton and Eli Manning.
18. Jason Biggs is based on this guy, Larry Smith, who is actually a successful editor and author (and yes, he did write about his experience for The New York Times).
19. Lauren Lapkus, who plays the female guard Susan Fischer, is a improv actress who performs at the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre. Here’s a sketch called Anal Sunshine, which is kind of funny.
20. Constance Schulman, who plays Yoga Jones, does the voice of Patty Mayonaise on the cartoon “Doug,” and actually originated the Annelle role in the stage production of Steel Magnolias, the role that would go to Daryl Hannah in the film.
Around the Web
Like Our Facebook Page And an Angel Does the Paul Rudd Dance
blog comments powered by Disqus