5 New And Returning British Series That Will Get Your DVR's Knickers In A Twist
1. Vicious: First the great news. PBS has locked down the delightful Ian McKellan/Derek Jacobi comedy about a bickering older couple who have lived together for 50 years. It’s basically the sassiest premise you’ve ever seen. Imagine the brothers Crane but gayer and British-er. Added bonus, Game Of Thrones and Misfits fans, Iwan Rheon aka Ramsay Snow aka SAVE ME BARRY co-stars. No word yet on the exact release date, but they say “some time next year.” Let the sly grins commence.
2. Sherlock: Of course PBS already has their sticky, tote bag toting fingers all over Sherock Series 3. It will return to PBS Masterpiece on Jan. 19 at 10 p.m. with an all-new villain, Charles Augustus Magnussen. Weirdly, the BBC hasn’t announced when they will be airing Sherlock. Could it be that we Yanks won’t have to wait? Could we all be getting our scarf porn and Watson staches at the same time?
3. Downton Abbey: Can your Anglophilic hearts bear it? Sherlock will be airing back to back with Downton Abbey Series 4. That’s rather blowing your Anglo wad, isn’t it, PBS? Regardless, the Brits are already elbow deep in Series 4 of Downton Abbey and have weathered a large kerfuffle over a certain plot point that we shan’t spoil here. No, no, it’s not the new black character. Who on earth would object to this?
4. Black Mirror: This news is a little trickier and very frustrating. The British horror anthology originally aired in 2012. We’re FINALLY getting it on Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 9 p.m. But, um, it’s on a channel most of us don’t have. Unless, do you have DirectTV’s Audience Network? No? Thought not. So cozy up to someone with satellite if you want to get the bejeesus scared out of you by Agent Peggy Carter here.
5. Secret State: DirecTV’s Audience channel is also the only place you can see Gabriel Byrne’s Secret State, also premiering on Tuesday, Nov. 12, at 10 p.m. The contemporary spy thriller also co-stars Charles Dance. You know, TYWIN LANNISTER. Why don’t I get to see this on PBS or the Sundance Chanel? Why do I have to make nice with someone with satellite? It’s like the late seasons of Friday Night Lights all over again.
6. Peaky Blinders: I said “five” in the headline and I meant “five.” There’s been no announcement of when we’ll get Peaky Blinders here in the states, but it’s all anyone can talk about. Can you blame them? British Boardwalk Empire, you say? Sons Of Anarchy cast members you say? Cillian Murphy and his rapey-eyed smiles, you say?! I want it. I want it now.
So which of those five are you most excited for? I know I should say Sherlock, but who can resist this smile?
Get entertainment, celebrity and politics updates via Facebook or Twitter. Buy Pajiba merch at the Pajiba Store.