15 Real-Life Celebrity Couples Whose On-Set Romances Have Lasted Longer than Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt
On Friday, it was announced that Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie would be starring together in By the Sea, which will be directed by Angelina Jolie. Details on the plot are scant so far, but the important thing for purposes of this post is that Jolie and Pitt are set to become the rare couple that have worked together on two films.
After all, tales of celebrity couples meeting on set and falling in love are a dime a dozen. The odds of those relationships surviving as long as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt’s relationship, however, are incredibly rare. The two have been together since they connected in 2005’s Mr. and Mrs. Smith, and nine years is practically an eternity in Hollywood time.
In fact, the number of celebrity relationships that grew out of on-set connections that have lasted longer AND continue to exist is a fairly short list. Here are the major representatives from that list ranked in order of how long they’ve been together (and I have not included relationships between actors and directors/crew members, i.e., Danny Elfman and Bridget Fonda, Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter, or Frances McDormand and Joel Coen).
15. James McAvoy met his future wife Anne-Marie Duff on the set of Shameless in 2004. They are still married and have a son together.
14. Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner have been together since 2003’s Daredevil. They’re married and have two children.
13. Alyson Hannigan and Alexis Denisof met on Buffy, got involved when Denisof went to Angel, and the two have been happily married since 2003. They have two children.
12. Freddie Prinze Jr. and Sarah Michelle Gellar met on the set of I Know What You Did Last Summer and have been married since 2002. They have two children together.
11. Sarah Clarke met her husband Xander Berkeley on the set of 24 in 2001 and were married a year later. They are still married with two daughters.
10. Ben Stiller met Christine Taylor on Jack Black’s 1999 show, Heat Vision and Jack (written and executive produced by Dan Harmon). They’ve been married for 14 years and have two children.
9. Will Smith met Jada Pinkett Smith on the set of Fresh Prince of Bel Air (she auditioned to play his girlfriend but was rejected. She did, however, play other roles). They’ve been married since 1997, and have two children together.
8. Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa met on All My Children and were married in 1996. They have three children together.
7. Hugh Jackman met and his future wife Deborra-Lee Furness while filming the 1995 television drama Correlli. They have two adopted children together.
6. Annette Bening and Warren Beatty have been married since meeting on the set of 1992’s Bugsy. They have four children together.
5. John Travolta and Kelly Preston have been together since 1989’s The Experts
4. Tom Hanks met Rita Wilson while filming Bosom Buddies, fell in love during Volunteers and have been married since 1988. They have two children together (plus two children from Tom’s previous marriage).
3. Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick met during the PBS American Playhouse production of Lemon Sky . They have been married since 1988 and have two children.
2. Michael J. Fox and Tracy Pollan met on The Family Ties and, again, on a movie set years later. They’ve been married since 1988 and have four children together.
1. Denzel Washington met his wife, Pauletta, on the set of Wilma in 1977. They have four children together.
Pajiba Love Express
Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch are still a thing. (Lainey)
This isn't exactly surprising, but Sir Mix-a-Lot doesn't have a problem with Blake Lively's "Oakland booty." (Celebitchy)
Helen Mirren was a lacy, twirly dream at Cannes. (Go Fug Yourself))
Great news, everyone! Kanye is going to end bullying. With shoes. (DListed)
Johnny Depp's haircut isn't doing him any favors. (LG)
Here's exactly how to raise the stakes on The Walking Dead. (Uproxx)