15 Cool Facts About This Year's Emmy Nominations with Which You Can Impress Your Easily Impressed Friends
1. Laverne Cox becomes the first transgender Emmy nominee ever, after her nomination for Best Guest Actress in Orange is the New Black. Cox credited Jodie Foster for the nomination.
2. Jon Hamm was nominated for a 7th time for playing Don Draper on Mad Men. He’s been nominated 12 times overall (including guest roles in other series). He still hasn’t won. He is the most nominated person ever for a single role to not have won.
3. The Best Actor category this year contains the reigning Emmy (Jeff Daniels), Oscar (Matthew McConaughey) and Tony winner (Bryan Cranston). That’s crazy, especially when you consier that the other two guys (Spacey and Hamm) also have 15 Emmy nominations and two Oscar wins between them. (via Rich Eisen)
4. Even in an off year, Saturday Night Live added 14 Emmy nominations to its record-holding all-time nomination count of 156. Among its nominees was this (for music and lyrics):
5. Dog with a Blog received more Emmy nominations (2) than Hannibal, Orphan Black and The Americans combined (1, for Margo Martindale’s guest turn on The Americans).
6. According to an algorithm formulated by scientists from NASA, the least deserving major nominee this year was Jon Voight, for his supporting actor work in Ray Donovan.
7. In Another McConaughey vs. Cranston like competition, Joel McHale’s True Detective spoof will be going up against Zach Galifianakis “Between Two Ferns” with President Obama. That is a tough call.
8. The five shows with the most nominations were Game of Thrones(19), Fargo (18), American Horror Story: Coven (17), Breaking Bad (16)
9. Seven categories had three or more nominees from the same series (Guest actress in a comedy series had 3 from Orange is the New Black, Supporting actor in a miniseries or a movie has four from The Normal Heart, Supporting actress in a miniseries or a movie had three from AHS: Coven, So You Think You Can Dance had four nominations for Choreography, Breaking Bad had three nominations for single-camera picture editing for a drama series, Orange is the New Black had three for single-camera picture editing for a comedy series, Fargo had 3 for single-camera picture editing for a comedy series).
10. Bill Maher continues to hold the record for most overall nominations without a win. He added one more nomination this year, to make it 33. He won’t win this year, either.
11. There were five actors/actresses to be nominated in two different categories: Allison Janney, Jim Parsons, Louis C.K., Jimmy Fallon, Martin Freeman, and Melissa McCarthy.
12. Netflix (31) had more nominations than Fox (18), but Ryan Murphy’s shows had more nominations (34) than Netflix. HBO, of course, led the way among all networks with a whopping 99.
13. I always love the Best Title Sequence, if only because shows are only eligible once (unless they change their title sequence). This year’s nominees: Black Sails, True Detective, Silicon Valley, Masters of Sex and Cosmos. For cleverness’ sake alone, my vote is for Masters of Sex.
14. FX had 45 nominations this year, a record for basic cable. 18 of those were for Fargo, the most ever for a FX program.
15. Best Actor nominee Woody Harrelson has already conceded to his buddy Matthew McConaughey.