What's Your Favourite Quotation?
Pajiba seems an appropriate place for a nice wallow in clever turns of phrase. What are your favourite quotations? Not because they are philosophical or profound, although that may be the case, but just because they please you. With a list of over 1,000 to choose from, my winnowing got a bit challenging, but life is finite, so I'm going with these:
- I got the urge to look it up in the dictionary she bought me. It's black and enormous and filled with the presence of some sort of God. (Jane Hamilton The Book of Ruth)
- He made a minor vocabulary error and she inwardly, magnanimously forgave him. (Carrie Fisher Delusions of Grandma)
- It was a smile not many women had seen, and those who had, had said yes. (Jude Devereux)
- Merely corroborative detail, intended to give artistic verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative. (W.S. Gilbert)
- I am not going to stop to him merely because he pays no attention. I like hearing myself talk. It is one of my greatest pleasures. I often have long conversations all by myself, and I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. (Oscar Wilde The Remarkable Rocket)
- She was mostly immensely relieved to think that virtually everything that anybody had ever told her was wrong. (Douglas Adams So Long and Thanks for All the Fish)
- She had been given her opportunity to participate in civilization and she had muffed it. (Kurt Vonnegut Mother Night)
- It seemed to him to strike a note of almost wanton luxury, the sort of thing that causes French Revolutions and Declines and Falls of Roman Empires. (P.G. Wodehouse)
- Lisa, if you don't watch the violence, you'll never become desensitized to it. (The Simpsons)
- Metaphysics is never more than semantic pleasantries anyway. (Haruki Murakami Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World)
And now, if you'll excuse me, I clearly need to reread the complete works of Haruki Murakami, and then The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, in between visits to this random P.G. Wodehouse quote generator.